RE:

They're they exact same machine:  same drive, same chipset, etc.

As for why I haven't been able to get the Etch installer, every time I've tried for the past week to download it, it trudges along at 4K/s - 30K/s and eventually ends up stopping completely after about 50MB or so. I guess everyone is trying to grab the Etch netinst ISO. Update: Today's Testing NetInst ISO just completed and I was able to do a complete installation. I hope the SATA support makes it into the final release this time around.