RE: [Fwd: Re: Debian Installer on DELL PowerEdge 850/860]

> Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 14:02:13 -0500
> From: dparker@utica.edu
>
> Ben Humpert wrote:
> > > Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2007 12:08:25 -0500
> > > From: dparker@utica.edu
> > and
> > >
> > > Are you runnning a SMP kernel?
> > >
> > > Try "cat /proc/cpuinfo" and see if it shows both CPUs and the number of
> > > cores in each.
> >
> > Yes, for sure :) Here is what cat /proc/cpu said =>
> > http://nopaste.php-q.net/281168 (cpu cores 2)
>
> Sorry, I can't get that website to come up.
>
> Anyway, as you probably know, hyper threading is not the same as having
> a second core. To the best of my knowledge, a dual-core CPU will always
> show 2 cores regardless of whether it supports hyper threading. I don't
> think you will see each core twice if they are hyper threaded.
>
> - Dave

yes, a SingleCore CPU which supports HT has one physical core and one logical core.

On Windows i saw a taskmanager screenshot where you can see four cores, the user told it was a dualcore with hyper-threading, so i guess each HT capable cpu shows all cores (physical and logical) but i wouldn't bet on that. Never got a DualCore Xeon before so perhaps Xeon only shows physical cores.

but there is no setting to turn off/on (or something else) to get more than two cores showed? Thanks!

Ben