Re: Debian GUI

Toshko wrote:
Hey John,
Thanks for replying to my email. I am currently not hooked up to the internet, and dont have the driver to connect my ethernet cable to my router.

Does that mean that you have broadband (cable,dsl) available through a router, but not a driver on your computer to talk to the router?

If so, the best way to load debian on your system would be to use the testing net-install cd-image. It will/should automagically make the connection for you assuming your router is using dhcp and your having a good day.

If a net installation of testing is at all possible, that is by far your best option. The stable version of debian (sarge) that you're trying to install is about to be replaced by Etch (currently testing) and there are some major changes. It would be much better (and a lot easier) to start out with Etch.

If that's a possibility, you can download the ISO from the following link. I'd use the "businesscard.iso", it's only 32mb and works fine.

http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/daily-builds/arch-latest/i386/iso-cd/

Where can I find the Gnome or kde package on the internet, as
there are only parts, but not the whole piece on the debian website? And how do i download only packages from there?

If you can't net install Etch, and have to use the 14 cdroms for debian 3.1, you already have all the packages your looking for --- Gnome, KDE, GUI and thousands of others.

I have tried the dselect function, and it works, but it looks like there's just no GUI on the cd's, because debian sees them, but they're not there. Its really weird.

I'm assuming you went right down the list for dselect... Access, Update, Select, etc.. Strange, they should have showed up.

What is the purpose of having 14 cds for
downloading when only the 1st two are necessary and have the basic utilities?

Actually, how many cds you need depends on what programs you wish to load with your system. I'll bet you use most of the 14 before your done. I've loaded Etch (20 cds) on a computer without an internet connection and I needed bits and pieces from all 20.

Let's make sure of where we are in the installation.

After you did the "apt-cdrom add" for all 14 cds, your sources.list (/etc/apt/sources.list) should contain the cdrom locations for all the packages you need. You might take a look at it just to make sure.

Maybe even comment/edit out all the lines that are not the 14 cdroms to eliminate any conflicts.

If your sources.list is correct you could also try "tasksel" at the command prompt, select desktop environment, and then insert the cdroms as asked. I believe that will work but have never used it since I manually select packages.

Also as Debian Users, we want to keep this tread alive through the list so that others can add additional help and/or benefit from the discussion, so I'm posting this through the list and also CCing you.

Good Luck
John

Thanks again

Toshko

*/John C <zcar@satx.rr.com>/* wrote:

    Toshko wrote:
     > Hi,
     > I have just installed debian 3.1, and have all the 14 cds.
    however, i
     > do not know which one the GUI is on, and how to load the cds from
    the
     > text interface for that matter. Can you help me please?

    It's been a while since I've used it, but I believe you want the
    apt-cdrom package. It adds cds to your sources.list so that you
    can install packages from the cds much like you would from a web
    archive.

    There are several good ways of building your system from the cds,
    but since you're using a text interface, the older dselect method
    of installing your packages will probably work the easiest.

    Once you've loaded all the cds into your sources.list using the
    command "apt-cdrom add" as root, then use "dselect" with apt as
    the access method and start selecting the packages you want.

    As I've said it's been a while since I used this method, so by
    all means read the man pages for "apt-cdrom" and "dselect" before
    you start.

    Good Luck.
    John

The best gets better. See why everyone is raving about the *All-new Yahoo! Mail.* <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/evt=40705/*http://mrd.mail.yahoo.com/try_beta?.intl=ca>