Re: Random sd* devices numbering

Marco De Vitis wrote:
On 08/03/2007 19:40, Joe Hart wrote:

Sounds to me like a call for udev.  Naming the disks by UUID should

udev? You opened up a new world to me. Thanks!
/me reading udev docs all night long...

Hmm, I thought the LABEL/UUID mounting feature was part of udev??

In any case, both work essentially the same way. Either a unique label or a unique UUID (which can be a rather longgggg number, one that I have is 'b85cc347-d620-49e5-81e1-aa1877a9f6ac') is used to make a link from /dev/disk/by-uuid/##### or /dev/disk/by-label/<LABEL> to the actual disk in /dev, and the system then uses the value from fstab (LABEL=<LABEL> or UUID=<uuid>), to find the link and thus the 'real' disk name assigned by the system.

On the other hand, using udev, you may be able to figure out how to write a naming rule that always names the devices correctly. I've no experience with this and can only with you good luck if you choose this route.

Bob