Random sd* devices numbering

Hi, I'm configuring Etch (kernel 2.6) on a machine which has a builtin Intel ICH7 SATA controller (I'm using two HDs in software RAID on it), plus an Areca PCI-X SATA RAID controller (4 HDs in hardware RAID), plus a LSI PCI-X SCSI controller (connected to an external storage unit).

It all works, but the problem is that the devices are more or less randomly named at boot, i.e. the Areca device is sometimes /dev/sda, other times sdb, or even sdd, so using device names in fstab or elsewhere is dangerous.

I've googled a bit and found out about the "scsihosts" kernel boot parameter, but it doesn't seem to work. So, for the moment, I've worked around the problem by assigning labels to the partitions and mounting them in fstab using the label references.

Isn't there a better way? Isn't there a way to be sure that the devices order will always be the same?

Thanks.

--
Ciao,
  Marco.