Re: accented chars. shown as question marks in black diamonds in mozilla

Florian Kulzer wrote:
On Thu, Mar 08, 2007 at 09:59:07 -0500, H.S. wrote:
Hello,

In Debian Etch Mozilla browser (Iceape), I notice that sometimes accented characters are not displayed properly. They are shown as question marks in black diamonds. For example, on this web page (CNN):
http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1597226,00.html?cnn=yes

I see this "or his prot�g�s". I assume the last word is protege with accents on the e's. How do I find out what I am missing to have these characters shown properly? Maybe a font? My default locale is en_CA.UTF-8 and many of the international languages are shown properly.

Try to change to "View > Character Encoding > Western (ISO-8859-1)".

Yes, that worked.

Your en_CA.UTF-8 would be able to display this page correctly if
time.com would bother to tell your browser that is uses ISO-8859-1.

I am not sure I understand this comment. I am not very familiar with encoding. I was assuming the web pages which have international characters are better off by using UTF-8 encoding.

I was assuming they should have used UTF-8 along with the language tags around that word. I might be mistaken though.

->HS

I would have expected time.com to be more professional.

I even see accents properly on this web page:
http://www.jw-stumpel.nl/stestu.html

This page uses utf-8, so it matches your locale setting. It also
specifies the encoding in the source, so it should display correctly on
other locales as well, as long as they have the "é" character at all.
(The browser transcodes transparently if it knows what it is dealing
with.)