accented chars. shown as question marks in black diamonds in mozilla

Hello,

In Debian Etch Mozilla browser (Iceape), I notice that sometimes accented characters are not displayed properly. They are shown as question marks in black diamonds. For example, on this web page (CNN):
http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1597226,00.html?cnn=yes

I see this "or his prot�g�s". I assume the last word is protege with accents on the e's. How do I find out what I am missing to have these characters shown properly? Maybe a font? My default locale is en_CA.UTF-8 and many of the international languages are shown properly. I even see accents properly on this web page:
http://www.jw-stumpel.nl/stestu.html

thanks,
->HS