Re: accented chars. shown as question marks in black diamonds in mozilla

On Thu, 08 Mar 2007 09:59:07 -0500
"H.S." <hs.samix@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> In Debian Etch Mozilla browser (Iceape), I notice that sometimes
> accented characters are not displayed properly. They are shown as
> question marks in black diamonds. For example, on this web page (CNN):
> http://www.time.com/time/nation/article/0,8599,1597226,00.html?cnn=yes
>
> I see this "or his prot�g�s". I assume the last word is protege with
> accents on the e's. How do I find out what I am missing to have these
> characters shown properly? Maybe a font? My default locale is
> en_CA.UTF-8 and many of the international languages are shown properly.
> I even see accents properly on this web page:
> http://www.jw-stumpel.nl/stestu.html

Incidentally, when I reply to this message, Sylpheed warns: "Can't
convert the character encoding of the message body from UTF-8 to
ISO-8859-1. Send it as UTF-8 anyway?" (To which I'm replying "yes"). I
understand very little of character encodings.

Celejar