Re: Installing vim 7.0

On Mon, Mar 05, 2007 at 01:49:17PM -0800, kevinold@gmail.com wrote:
> This is what I get when I try to install libncurses-dev
>
> kold:~# aptitude install libncurses-dev
> Reading Package Lists... Done
> Building Dependency Tree
> Reading extended state information
> Initializing package states... Done
> Reading task descriptions... Done
> Note: selecting "libncurses5-dev" instead of the
>       virtual package "libncurses-dev"
> The following NEW packages will be automatically installed:
>   tzdata
> The following packages will be automatically REMOVED:
>   kernel-image-2.4.27-3-386
eeek!!

>   libncurses5-dev tzdata
> The following packages will be REMOVED:
>   kernel-image-2.4.27-3-386
>   libc6 libc6-dev libncurses5 locales
> 4 packages upgraded, 2 newly installed, 1 to remove and 189 not
> upgraded.
> Need to get 13.5MB of archives. After unpacking 20.8MB will be freed.
> Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?]

Why not upgrade to Etch where vim7.0 is standard. Etch also has a 2.6
kernel as standard as well though.

Etch is going to be the next stable anyway.

What does
kold:~# apt-cache show vim | grep Version
say?

But as an interim try:
kold:~# aptitude install libc6

then try again. Any other probs, post back here.

p.s. Etch is current testing. Its not a good idea to mix dists in your
/etc/apt/sources.lst

--
Chris.
======