Re: Installing vim 7.0

On Mar 5, 4:20 pm, Celejar <cele...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5 Mar 2007 12:39:42 -0800
>
> "kevin...@gmail.com" <kevin...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hello everyone,
>
> > I'm a long time RH/Fedora sysadmin/user and have decided to use Debian
> > 3.1r5 on my server at home.  I downloaded the bootable Network CD
> > (180MB) and then via the config after boot I installed additional
> > packages.
>
> > Everything is working fine and I installed vim 6.3 (current stable
> > version) via aptitude and all works well.  Except that I want vim 7.
> > It is available in the testing and unstable repositories, but when I
> > do an "aptitude install vim" it wants to remove my current kernel.
>
> I would guess that this is because it depends on libc6 >= 2.3.6-6, but
> I may be totally wrong.
>
> > I also tried to install vim 7 from source, but when compiling it
> > determined that I didn't have ncurses installed.  Again aptitude wants
> > to delete my current running kernel but didn't say anything about
> > installing ncurses.
>
> Did you install libncurses-dev? It contains the development files for
> building ncurses apps.

This is what I get when I try to install libncurses-dev

kold:~# aptitude install libncurses-dev
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
Reading task descriptions... Done
Note: selecting "libncurses5-dev" instead of the
      virtual package "libncurses-dev"
The following NEW packages will be automatically installed:
  tzdata
The following packages will be automatically REMOVED:
  kernel-image-2.4.27-3-386
  adduser analog apache2 apache2-mpm-prefork apache2-utils apt apt-
utils
  aptitude at base-passwd bash bc bin86 bind9-host binutils bison
  bsdmainutils bsdutils bzip2 console-tools coreutils cpio cpp cpp-3.3
cron
  dash dc debianutils dhcp-client discover1 dmidecode dnsutils dpkg
  dpkg-dev dselect e2fslibs e2fsprogs eject exim4 exim4-base exim4-
config
  exim4-daemon-light fdutils file findutils finger flex ftp g++ g+
+-3.3 gcc
  gcc-3.3 gcc-3.3-base gdb gettext-base gnupg grep groff-base grub
gzip
  hostname ifupdown info initscripts iptables iputils-ping ispell
klogd
  less libacl1 libapache2-mod-perl2 libapache2-mod-php4
  libapache2-mod-python libattr1 libblkid1 libbz2-1.0 libcomerr2
libconsole
  libcurses-perl libdb1-compat libdb3 libdb4.2 libdb4.3 libdiscover1
  libexpat1 libfreetype6 libgcc1 libgcrypt11 libgd2-noxpm libgdbm3
  libgpg-error0 libgpmg1 libhtml-parser-perl libidn11 libjpeg62
libkrb53
  libldap2 liblocale-gettext-perl liblockfile1 liblzo1 libmagic1
  libncursesw5 libnss-db libopencdk8 libpam-modules libpam0g libpcre3
  libperl5.8 libpng12-0 libpopt0 libreadline5 libsasl2 libselinux1
  libsepol1 libssl0.9.7 libstdc++5 libstdc++5-3.3-dev libstdc++6
  libterm-readkey-perl libtext-charwidth-perl libtext-iconv-perl
  libtextwrap1 libusb-0.1-4 libuuid1 libwrap0 libzzip-0-12 login
logrotate
  lpr lsof m4 make man-db module-init-tools modutils mount mpack
mtools
  mtr-tiny mutt nano ncurses-base ncurses-bin netbase netcat nfs-
common nvi
  openbsd-inetd openssl passwd patch pciutils perl perl-base perl-
modules
  php4-common pidentd portmap ppp pppoe pppoeconf procmail procps
psmisc
  python python-newt reportbug rsync sed ssh strace sysklogd sysvinit
tar
  tasksel tcpd tcsh telnet texinfo traceroute usbutils util-linux vim
  vim-common w3m wget whiptail whois zlib1g
  libncurses5-dev tzdata
The following packages will be REMOVED:
  kernel-image-2.4.27-3-386
  libc6 libc6-dev libncurses5 locales
4 packages upgraded, 2 newly installed, 1 to remove and 189 not
upgraded.
Need to get 13.5MB of archives. After unpacking 20.8MB will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?]

Any ideas?