Re: Installing vim 7.0

On Mar 5, 2007, at 4:49 PM, kevinold@gmail.com wrote:

This is what I get when I try to install libncurses-dev

kold:~# aptitude install libncurses-dev
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree
Reading extended state information
Initializing package states... Done
Reading task descriptions... Done
Note: selecting "libncurses5-dev" instead of the
      virtual package "libncurses-dev"
The following NEW packages will be automatically installed:
  tzdata
The following packages will be automatically REMOVED:
  kernel-image-2.4.27-3-386

Which kernel are you running on that box? It's trying to delete the 2.4 kernel. This is OK if you're actually running the 2.6 kernel. Sarge can use either.

Still, your best bet may be to check "backports" as mentioned in another message in this thread.

Rick