Re: Where is debian-non-US

On Tuesday, 06.03.2007 at 10:48 -0600, John Hasler wrote:

> > _Similar_ reasons.  Germany, for example, has a licensing law for
> > games (unless it has been repealed recently).
>
> Johannes writes:
> > Germany has a licensing law for free software games?
>
> It it my understanding (which may be obsolete or even simply
> erroneous) that in Germany computer games are not to be made available
> to children unless they have been approved and that the approval costs
> money.

Also, just as an example, certain games fall foul of Germany's (and
other countries) anti-Nazi laws; e.g. Return to Castle Wolfenstein could
not be distributed in Germany because of all the swastikas, apparently.

The multiplayer version, Enemy Territory, got around this restriction by
being careful not to use any swastikas and by making references only to
'Axis' forces.

They all had really strong German accents, though  :-)

Dave.

--
Please don't CC me on list messages!
Dave Ewart - davee@sungate.co.uk - jabber: davee@jabber.org