Re: who is responsible to keep the list of used $DISPLAYs at system level

On 02.03.07 13:51, Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:
> In my case I am talking about ssh X forwarding, so SSH creates a socket
> and provides appropriate DISPLAY variable to point at that socket (not
> at the original DISPLAY on the original, now remote, box).
> So, if on a local box from which you
> come you have DISPLAY smth like localhost:1.0, while doing ssh X
> forwarding it would be assigned localhost:X.0, where X>=10 is the first
> available socket 6000+X. (X is actually a sshd config option
> X11DisplayOffset... may be I should change it to smth higher anyways to
> don't interact with running VNCs per idea earlier described earlier in
> the thread)

actually, the X is not a ssh config option. It is just at least as big as
the ssh config option. And the X (/tmp/6000+X) is/should be forwarded to :1
on your machine. Do you want to say, that something different is being
forwarded? Do your applications show on someone other's display, and/or
someone other's apps show on yours one?

Despite the cost of living, have you noticed how popular it remains?