Re: who is responsible to keep the list of used $DISPLAYs at system level

On 01.03.07 13:09, Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:
> Pardon my ignorance on the subject: flow of X connections etc
>
> The problem is -- the user logs in into a remote system via ssh with X
> forwarding and gets assigned DISPLAY=:13.0.

Sorry I don't understand - what do you mean "gets assigned"?
the DISPLAY variable is createx by X server, when the X server, when it
allocates the port. child processes inherit the variable, they do not set
it. When you log elsewhere via SSH with X forwarding, ssh should allocate
proper socket and set DISPLAY to it

> The problem is that he
> doesn't get authority over :13 since :13 is occupied by another user
> running VNC :13 (which seems to be also not fully functional). So I am
> wondering what in the system keeps track and informs on available
> displays to be used?
>
> clearly there is a process occupying 6013 port (for :13)
> Xvnc4     11990       cat    0u  IPv4 107557584       TCP *:6013 (LISTEN)
>
> so it must be that there is some list which got screwed up and provides
> errorness numbers
>
> P.S. Please CC me -- I am not on the list

set up your MTA to send Mail-Followup-To: header when posting to the list...

"The box said 'Requires Windows 95 or better', so I bought a Macintosh".