who is responsible to keep the list of used $DISPLAYs at system level

Pardon my ignorance on the subject: flow of X connections etc

The problem is -- the user logs in into a remote system via ssh with X
forwarding and gets assigned DISPLAY=:13.0. The problem is that he
doesn't get authority over :13 since :13 is occupied by another user
running VNC :13 (which seems to be also not fully functional). So I am
wondering what in the system keeps track and informs on available
displays to be used?

clearly there is a process occupying 6013 port (for :13)
Xvnc4     11990       cat    0u  IPv4 107557584       TCP *:6013 (LISTEN)

so it must be that there is some list which got screwed up and provides
errorness numbers

P.S. Please CC me -- I am not on the list

--
                                  .-.
                   Linux User    ^^-^^    [175555]