Re: apt-get update success but with errors

On Mon, Mar 05, 2007 at 08:19:29PM -0500, Joey Hess wrote:
> Frank McCormick wrote:
> > On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 11:53:42 -0800
> > Andrew Sackville-West <andrew@farwestbilliards.com> wrote:

> > > have you installed debian-archive-keyring?
> >
> >      Funny but I get the exact same error everytime I run aptitude
> > update - but the second time I run it I get no error. And yes
> > debian-archive-keyring is on my machine. Weird.
>
> http.us.debian.org is a rotation of several mirrors. If one mirror gets
> out of sync you can see this kind of behavior.

Is there any programmatic way to determine this 'out-of-sync'ness? And
could said functionality be added to apt/aptitude?

> I don't really recommend
> using http.us.debian.org because of this problem, it's better to choose
> a single well-connected mirror.

How would the average users know this? I dont recall reading this.

> Additionally, it seems that you do not have key 6070D3A1 available on
> your system, probably because you do not have a current version of
> debian-archive-keyring installed. If you had this key then 'apt-key list'
> would list it:
>
> pub   1024D/6070D3A1 2006-11-20 [expires: 2009-07-01]
> uid                  Debian Archive Automatic Signing Key (4.0/etch) <ftpmaster@debian.org>

It seems the ' W: You may want to run apt-get update to correct these
problems' should be amended or replaced with one that mentions about
getting (a more up-to-date) d-a-keyring?

Thanks for monitoring these 'users' channels!
cheers,
- --