Re: DVD ripping/copying/demacroing/deregionalizing

Mathias Brodala wrote:

You mean DVDShrink and you can run it through WINE. Not sure if it works like on
Windows systems, though.

No, I don't mean DVDShrink. My girlfriend downloaded one (cost
$25 USD) and I was trying to run it under Wine. It seems to run,
but I hit some snags with permissions (all files on the DVD are
owned by root:root). I thought that, rather than fool with Wine
etc. I'd try to use some native Linux apps, if they exist.

She bought a DVD recorder, and wishes to make copies of the
off-air stuff, and also some commercial ones with MacroVision.
The interest is partly that she has a DVD player run through
a VCR, and playing the MV stuff requires taking the VCR out
of the signal path. If she could make copies of legally owned
DVDs which were demacroed she wouldn't have the problem
of having to recable her system over and over.

Mike
You have found the bank of Larn.