Re: a dumb query? pls humor me

On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 09:36:09 -0800
Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.ca> wrote:

[snip]

> It's a little disingenious to hide behind the success of World War II to
> whitewash over the utter failure of every military action since.

"Every" US military action since WWII has been a "utter failure" ? The
first Gulf war (incontrovertibly a resounding success, the argument
being over whether we should have gone further), the Korean war (not a
victory, but hardly an utter failure), the Afghanistan campaign, the
efforts in the Balkans have been "utter failures" ?

> Civil War expanded our borders (confusingly adding the Oregon Territory
> (Oregon, Washington, Idaho, parts of Whyoming and Montana) in 1859 by
> military threat after they voted against joining the United States in
> 1843), as did World War II (adding territory in the pacific and West
> Germany).  Hawai'i wouldn't be a state had it not been coerced following
> WWII.  To say that America has only peacefully expanded it's borders is a
> lie:  History is written by the winners after all.

History is not written by the winners in this case; the criticisms of
the US you mention are alive and well, due to *our* staunch defense of
freedom of speech. I would venture that our academies are turning out
as much of the anti US historiography as anyone's.

Celejar