Re: a dumb query? pls humor me

Celejar wrote:

> On Mon, 05 Mar 2007 09:36:09 -0800
> Paul Johnson <baloo@ursine.ca> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
>> It's a little disingenious to hide behind the success of World War II to
>> whitewash over the utter failure of every military action since.
>
> "Every" US military action since WWII has been a "utter failure" ? The
> first Gulf war (incontrovertibly a resounding success, the argument
> being over whether we should have gone further)

Failrue, we had to go back a decade later to finish the job.

> , the Korean war (not a
> victory, but hardly an utter failure),

Failure, mission was not accomplished.

> the Afghanistan campaign,

Failure, we've hired warlords to hunt warlords again.  Didn't we learn from
working with bin Laden in the first place that you just can't trust
warlords?

> the efforts in the Balkans have been "utter failures" ?

I'd hardly call any of the former Soviet-bloc stable.