Re: initramfs-tools fixed (maybe) --- how to resume install?

On Sun, Mar 04, 2007 at 08:58:09AM -0600, Charles Blair wrote:
>    I am trying to install debian (testing) on a machine that
> has Windows XP.  I downloaded and booted the first .iso image
> (weekly build as of Feb 28).  Partitoning and other steps
> seem to have worked properly.
>
>     When I started the "install the base system", things seemed
> ok until just after I was prompted for a kernel choice (I took
> the default).  I then got a message that errors occurred while
> trying to install initramfs-tools.
>
>     I downloaded initramfs-tools-0.85e_all.deb using the windows
> part of the machine (I have a working wireless setup there),
> transferred it to the debian part (using mount), and typed
>
> dpkg --install (initramfs...).deb
>
>     The response leads me to hope that this worked:
>
> >    unpacking...
> >    setting up...
> >    update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.18-3-486

from what system did you do this little install of initramfs....deb?
Did you boot the new debian system? or did you boot the install cd
into rescue mode?

>    I'm not sure what to do next.  I would like to continue with
> the rest of the installation process (especially the automatic
> graphics install).  I'm concerned that if I simply boot from
> the CD, it will take me back to the beginning of the process,
> possibly undoing the now-working (I hope) intramfs.

I *think* you might be able to just boot the new debian system and
just run tasksel --new-install.

This assumes that there is a boot loader installed already etc.