Re: XP Blocking CD Boot

Joe Hart wrote:
> Thomas H. George wrote:
> > I built a new computer with two hard drives and installed XP Home
> > Edition on the first drive.  The second drive contains my Debian system
> > - kernel 2.6.17 and Testing.  I intended to use disc 1 of a Sarge
> > installation set as a rescue disk to access hdb and run lilo to convert
> > this box to a dual boot box.
>
> > After XP was installed the system will no longer boot from a CD.  Even
> > after I entered BIOS setup and changed the first, second and third boot
> > choices to CDROM the system still persists in booting from the hard
> drive.
>
> > What can I do to regain control?
>
> > Tom George
>

> It has to be your BIOS.  XP cannot change how your computer boots other
> than modifying the MBR of the primary HD, which _could_ cause your
> computer not to see your Debian, but you still should be able to boot
> from CD.  Unless your BIOS is messed up.
True, however if the CD is bad (scratched ?) , the bios might have some
hidden, automatic fallback which makes it boot from the first
hard-drive. Make sure the CD is still bootable, e.g. by trying it on
some other machine. Also, check the cables on your CD-drive.
--
Håkon Alstadheim
http://alstadheim.priv.no/hakon/