XP Blocking CD Boot

I built a new computer with two hard drives and installed XP Home Edition on the first drive. The second drive contains my Debian system - kernel 2.6.17 and Testing. I intended to use disc 1 of a Sarge installation set as a rescue disk to access hdb and run lilo to convert this box to a dual boot box.

After XP was installed the system will no longer boot from a CD. Even after I entered BIOS setup and changed the first, second and third boot choices to CDROM the system still persists in booting from the hard drive.

What can I do to regain control?

Tom George