Re: What's the best way to backup to dvd?

Michael M. wrote:
> On Fri, 2007-03-02 at 16:02 +0100, Joe Hart wrote:
>
>> The libraries here have all sorts of media, including both games for the
>> computer and audio CD's.  But then again the copyright rules are
>> different here than in the US :) That's why I can legally install
>> libdvdcss2 and people in the US cannot.
>
> Libraries here do too, but I'm confused about what you're saying about
> DeCSS.  It's not illegal to use it in the U.S., it is illegal to
> distribute it.  In other words, I can use libdvdcss2 to watch an
> encrypted DVD I have, but I can't put the executable or the code on a
> website, server, etc., and let others download it.  It was my
> understanding that since the EU copyright directives that took effect a
> few years ago, the same is true in E.U. nations.

According to Automatix (the easy installer that is used by many ubuntu
users ( http://www.getautomatix.com ) it is illegal to install deCSS in
the United States.  They may be wrong.

> See, for example:
> http://www.afterdawn.com/news/archive/3218.cfm
>
> "In U.S., it is illegal (according to New York's Appeals Court and
> Federal Court -- not by Supreme Court yet) to distribute DeCSS code or
> executables that allow circumventing DVD copy-protection known as CSS.
>
> In EU it will be illegal from 22nd of December."

Not all laws of the EU are respected by EU member states.  A good
example are the Coffee Shops that are here.

> (Note that the above was posted in 2002.)
>
> And:
> http://www.indicare.org/tiki-read_article.php?articleId=131

> "Teledirekt suggested that it should be possible to make a back up copy
> for consumers of DVDs and that their programme DVD X copy would enable
> this. The judge ruled though that the programme can be considered as a
> circumvention device and distribution of those devices is not allowed on
> the grounds of 29a of the Dutch Copyright Act."

The above website is inaccurate.  Stichtig B.R.E.I.N. is much like the
M.P.A.A., a organization that is trying to limit pirating of copyrighted
material.  There is a "fair use" stipulation to the Dutch Copyright Act,
and installing DeCSS could be considered (and has by some courts) a fair
use.

In fact, the way the law is worded, it is not illegal to go to your
neighbor's house and make copies of all of his films and music for your
own use.  It is illegal to make copies and give (or sell) them to your
neighbor.  Therefore, it is perfectly legal here to download films and
music from the internet for your own use as the internet can be
considered your neighbor.  It is not legal to post things on the
internet, or to use P2P software to obtain such material unless you
disable the sharing, which defeats the purpose of P2P.

It is a bit strange, but I didn't write the law, nor did I interpret it.
 Magazines (such as Tips & Trucs) clearly state the same.

> (from a 2005 article)
>

>> Not that the law stops most of the people.
>
> Well you're right about that!  :-)    The law has certainly not stopped
> me from doing quite a bit that's illegal here.

I think the media companies are to blame for this mess.  Especially the
software distributors.  I can understand someone wanting to protect
their hard work, but reality says no matter how much something is
protected, it will eventually be cracked.  The battle has been raging
ever since computers became popular and I imagine it will continue.

That's the whole reason DRM was invented.  The media companies are
trying to control what you can and cannot do with media that you buy,
and certain operating systems are complying with them.

Joe