Re: PS/2 - USB Adaptor for keyboard

On Fri, 2 Mar 2007 11:38:25 +0200
Atis <atis@BEST.eu.org> wrote:

> [snap]
> > >
> > > Correct; there are no electronics in the PS2->USB adapter.  A few
> > > years back, a PS2 adapter often was included with a USB mouse.
>
> Agreed, there are no electronics, however AFAIK USB and PS/2 are
> different protocols - so they cannot be just swapped by using an
> adapter. (PS/2 and AT could). There is a trick that USB mice's detects
> where-im-plugged-into and adjusts protocol/wiring. With PS/2->USB its
> worse, as PS/2 devices aren't generally made to adjust protocol and
> switch to USB.

But these things are advertised as enabling one to do exactly what I
want - to use a PS/2 keyboard on a system without a PS/2 port.
> > I could try that, but I have a specific PS/2 keyboard that I'd like to
> > get working (it has foreign language characters printed on the keys in
> > addition to the english ones, and similar USB models that I saw are
>
> Well, i guess you just need to buy the USB keyboard that fits for
> you.. There are sticky transparent characters available for lot of
> languages, and they can easilly be sticked to any keyboard (however i
> agree, characters that are printed on keyboard lasts almost
> infinitely)

I have used stickers, but after a while (they did last several years)
they start to peel, and then they go missing and leave the keys gummed
up to boot. Anyway, I'm discussing a laptop, so I want an external
keyboard anyway. If I have to, I will buy a USB keyboard, but the ones
I saw (with foreign language chars) are much more expensive then the
cheap (Asian no-name) PS/2 ones available at Newegg.

Thanks,
Celejar

--
ssuds.sourceforge.net - Home of Ssuds and Ssudg, a Simple Sudoku Solver
and Generator