Re: who is responsible to keep the list of used $DISPLAYs at system level

On Thu, Mar 01, 2007 at 05:51:53PM -0500, Yaroslav Halchenko wrote:
> Thank you Roberto,
>
> The problem seems to boil down to an issue in sshd (bug #152250 since
> woody's times), so I am pursuing this subject further on -devel.
>
> But why do you want lower ones for ssh X forwarding? I would do the
> opposite probably since lower numbers are easier to remember for VNC
> connections, and in ssh you don't really care what the number assigned.
> Although idea of fixed mapping from uid to a port sounds worth
> considering...

Because as people log in, they get assigned DISPLAY=localhost:X.X, which
starts at some fixed low number.  Though, on further thought, you could
assign low display numbers to VNC and then change XDisplayOffset in your
sshd_config to some suitably high number.  In reality, neither makes a
difference, since I don't think very many apps care about your actual
DISPLAY, just that whether or not it is set.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez