[solved]Re: no sound on mplayer + .nsv stream

David E. Fox wrote:

> On Sat, 03 Feb 2007 18:11:41 +0100
> Jonathan Kaye <jdkaye10@yahoo.es> wrote:
>
>> Sure I remember. Thanks for the hints. Interestingly, there's also a tv
>> channel associated with the same people and the url is:
>> http://85.92.138.40:8000/;stream.nsv
>
> Odd. I also didn't get any sound from the first link you provided, and
> generally mplayer just works with streams IME. The problem I also agree
> with Roman - is the faac, but I'm not completely sure. For instance, I
> get the same warning on the audio part of the codec with this link as I
> did with the other link (i.e., unknown compressed size). Also, as a
> fallback, vlc doesn't recognize the codec at all on the first link.
>
> vlc doesn't display any video on the second link but does play the audio
> fine...
>
> For the first link provided, vlc gives this:
>
> dfox@m206-157:~$ vlc "http://85.92.138.33:8500/;stream.nsv";
> VLC media player 0.8.6a Janus
> [00000291] access_http access: Raw-audio server found, nsv demuxer
> selected [00000296] main decoder error: no suitable decoder module for
> fourcc `VP61'. VLC probably does not support this sound or video format.
>
> For the second link I get (using vlc)
>
> dfox@m206-157:~$ vlc http://85.92.138.40:8000/;stream.nsv
> VLC media player 0.8.6a Janus
> [00000291] access_http access: Raw-audio server found, nsv demuxer
> selected [00000296] main decoder error: no suitable decoder module for
> fourcc `VP61'. VLC probably does not support this sound or video format.
>
> This is on testing/etch. I suspect a wonky codec as a possibility.
>
>> Jonathan

Hi David,
No, it had nothing to do with faad which was installed and functioning
correctly. It turned out to be an error at the website.

Recall that the TV stream works correctly (both video and sound) and the
link is:
http://85.92.138.40:8000/;stream.nsv
As you stated, mplayer + the above link works perfectly.
The radio station gives video but no sound and its link is:
http://85.92.138.33:8500/;stream.nsv
Just on a hunch I changed the port from 8500 to 8000 (the one that works
with the TV station). Presto! I get sound!
So from the command line:
mplayer http://85.92.138.33:8000/;stream.nsv
gets you the radio station plus accompanying video. Try it yourself and as
you see, not an faad issue at all.
I don't know if this is strictly a linux issue but I did try to contact that
webpage but their contact link button doesn't work. Oh well, I tried.
Cheers and thanks for the help.
Jonathan