Re: how to send files from a pc to my home server and viceversa

Thanks Greg,

I am feeling really confused now.

It is supposed this is a router, and has a firewall inside.
I would need to read more about all this.

> I'd change my answers to all "yes" until you get a proper firewall.

In that case, I will disable the shared folder and use scp.

> I am sorry, but my answers were wrong. Based on the answer of your
> router ... which it is not. It is merely a non-protected bridge.
> Ok, well since you answered the question about the router... you do not
> have one.

What is the difference between router and "non-protected bridge"?
I see most pages refer to it as simply "speedtouch 530v6" but all
sites and companies and pc shops in Spain call it "router adsl 2+",
and it is how it was called in the case the sent me.
And I can forward ports (I've done it) and can activate a firewall
(did it too) from its menu.

> You have an ADSL Modem with two ports. A USB and a 10/100 Ethernet port.

I hear most people around me using all those modem/router as
synonims.

It is not my fault, I really try to understand but in the pc shops
they seem not to know really the difference.

I know there are many differences. But I will thank if anyone can give
me a simple explanation on this.
I saw this searching: (text from a forum)
---
HUB: plug some computers into this, and all traffic is shared.  In
other words, if computer 1 talks to computer 3, computer 2 will also
hear what computer 1 said.  Usually computer 2 just discards traffic
not meant for it, but it does tend to burden your network.

SWITCH: if computer 1 talks to computer 3, computer 2 hears nothing.
On high-traffic networks, this means downloads & uploads go a little
faster for everyone.  On low-traffic networks (home networks) users
typically don't notice a difference.

ROUTER: plug some computers into this, and it'll use port forwarding,
IP masquerading, and NAT to allow your computers to share an IP
address
and connect to the internet.  Cheap routers use HUB technology, good
routers use SWITCH technology.

A "bridge" is a box to regenerate signals on a coax in coax-networks.
As a fact every 500 meters, a new bridge needed to be placed in order
to maintain a good signal.

---
The most similar to mine is router, as it uses port forwading, and pcs
share the ip to enter internet. Maybe the quality of my router is not
like a router-switch, and mostly a router with hubs, so is virtually
insecure. Do you mean this?

And in speedtouch 530v6 FAQ it says:
---
Can I configure my router as a bridged ethernet connection?

    * Yes this is possible. Click on SpeedTouch -> setup at the bottom
of the SpeedTouch Web interface. This will launch the embedded setup
wizard. You can choose for setting up your router as a bridge there
during setup in the first screen.
------
So seems they call it "router" that can be configured as "bridge" or
not.

It seems not only me, also the people in Thomson confuse all those
concepts.

> Typically, a much better setup would be for you to get an inexpensive
> product that acts as a firewall and has a 4-8 port switch built into it.

If this has not a firewall... why it says it has and what do I have
activated???

Well, to resume:
- what is a router and what is a bridge?
- what is that product that sometimes sells as a "router-switch"?
- is mine a router or not?? (lol)

And if someone would recommend me some good router, this is what I
want:
- I have 3 pcs: 2 desktops ( one is server Xubuntu, and the other a
desktop Windows XP), and a WindowsXP laptop with wifi.
- Thus, I would prefer to have at least: 2 ethernet connections (for
the 2 desktop pcs) and 1 wifi (for the laptop)
- I would prefer that traffic that must go to the server is not known
by any pc (switch?)
- I would like to be able to use internet in each pc regardless of if
I have the others turned off (even the server)
- I have static public ip and want to use it.
- the server is a WEB server for internet, not a server for my private
LAN. And runs Xubuntu, based on Debian (Ubuntu)
- I don't like usb

I saw some models in my shop:
 ROUTER WIRELESS ASUS WL-500G PREMIUM (95 euros -- ouch!)
 ROUTER WIRELESS CISCO-LINKSYS WRT54GS  + 4 ETHERNET (82 euros --mmm)
 ROUTER WIRELESS CONCEPTRONIC  + ACCESS POINT 54MB (46 euros -cheap)

I see too some interesting ones:
* ROUTER WIRELESS SMC WBR14T-G  + ACCESS POINT 108MBPS (55 euros)
(what do they mean with 'access point'?? they mean an usb wifi
adaptor?)

http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?event=viewProduct&localeCode=EN_USA&cid=5&scid=&pid=1442

*ROUTER WIRELESS SMC WBR14T-G2  54MBPS (48 euros)

http://www.smc.com/index.cfm?event=viewProduct&localeCode=EN_USA&pid=1535

These they say are router-switch with Firewall with SPI (what is
this?), and prepared for VPN (whatever it is). They have 4 ethernet
ports and wifi support.

I would not like to buy a bad router as it seems I have with the
sp530v6.

Thanks for your patience

Jordi