Re: Network access fails unless tcpdump is running?

On Wed, 28 Feb 2007 17:10:43 -0500
Marc D Ronell <mronell@alumni.upenn.edu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I can not ping a remote host successfully unless I have "tcpdump -i
> eth0" running, in which case, my network access works fine.
>
> I am  running Debian etch on  a Dell Inspiron e1505  laptop.  The eth0
> address  is static  on my  local LAN.   Once tcpdump  is  running, the
> laptop can access the network with no problems.
>
> Any help or suggestions to solving this concern is really appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Marc

I would be interested to hear the explanation for this problem. I see
similar behaviour when trying to establish an ssh connection to a guest
OS running under qemu with the -redir option. The connection attempt
just hangs until I run 'tcpdump -i eth0' inside the guest. Very weird.

Not quite the problem you're having, but interesting nonetheless.

--

Liam