Re: Debian Installation on a cybercafe PC

On Thu, 2007-03-01 at 01:21 +0530, Deboo ^ wrote:
> Thanks for the concern and warning though. I didn't take it
> negatively. Just that I haven't seen a Linux installation corrupting
> the other OS.
>
> The worst that could happen is what? Partitions getting deleted or is
> there anything else more devasting and disastrous and unrecoverable?
>
> Regards,
> Deboo
>
> --
> Please don't Cc: me, I'm subscribed to the list.
>
> > Well if you have the trust and permission of the owner, go for it! I was
> > only concerned with the possibility of not being to fix the MBR, which
> > is what I meant by not being able to restore Windows. (note I am not
> > questioning your abilities, just being extra precautions).
> >
> > As far as USB Drive that will boot into Linux, DSL (Demo-Sized
> > Linux/Damn Small Linux) is a Knoppix-Based LiveCD that is 50 megabytes
> > in size, and is thusly very lightweight and efficient. It can also be
> > put on a USB drive if a computer's BIOS support booting in that way.
> >
> > --
> > Matthew K Poer

Worst case scenerio if you don't have permission: You accidently delete
a partition, and can't seem to recover it. The owner, sensing your
distress, checks on you, discovers the computer will not boot, quickly
labels you a 'hacker' and calls his the cops. Your arresting officer is
the owner's brother. You are 'made an example of' by the judge (the
owner's cousin), and sentenced to a few years of federal prison. The
shop owner called Geek Squad and paid $300 to have his NTFS partition
recovered by a $100 piece of software.Your family is devastated, your
wife and kids become depressed. Your dog dies while you are away. Your
life as you knew it is destroyed.

Worst case scenerio if you have permission: You accidently delete a
partition, or just the MBR, and can't recover. The owner, sensing your
distress, checks on you, discovers the computer will not boot, and asks
you to fix it. You go home, Google around a bit, ask for advice on
debian-user, and go back the next day to fix your mistake. Perhaps you
get a discount coffee or pastry. Life is dandy, rejoice.

Like I said, if you have permission, go for it!
--
Matthew K Poer