Re: configuring fetchmail, exim and mutt for remote access

On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 01:20:06PM -0800, Peter Easthope wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 03:48:09PM -0500, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> > You can setup mutt on machine M and have it just pull messages directly
> > from machine P via POP.
>
> Two factors against that.
> - P belongs to an ISP which refuses POP access from
>   a machine not on his WAN.

Uggh.

> - M is inside a firewall which passes ssh but not POP.

I see.  Do you have ssh access to P?  Were you planning on tunneling?
If so, you can have fetchmail go over the tunnel.  Alternatively, does
the machine have IMAP access?

> > I think that exim is not necessary for your needs.
>
> fetchmail sends messages to port 25 via SMTP whereas
> mutt wants to read messages in /var/mail/peter.
> Isn't exim needed to send the port 25 stream into
> the spool file?

I don't think so.  I think fetchmail can be configured to deliver
directly.  If not, seting up for local delivery in exim is a simple
dpkg-reconfigure away.

> > As I said, exim is probably overkill.
>
> Messages need to be sent also.  Isn't exim needed
> to send messages to P via SMTP?

Possibly.  You can use ssmtp.  For exim, however, you will need to wait
for someone else on the list to help you out.  I don't know a thing
about it, as I use postfix on all my machines.

> Thanks again,          ... Peter E.

np,

Regards,

-Roberto