Re: configuring fetchmail, exim and mutt for remote access

On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 03:48:09PM -0500, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> You can setup mutt on machine M and have it just pull messages directly
> from machine P via POP.

Two factors against that.
- P belongs to an ISP which refuses POP access from
  a machine not on his WAN.
- M is inside a firewall which passes ssh but not POP.

> I think that exim is not necessary for your needs.

fetchmail sends messages to port 25 via SMTP whereas
mutt wants to read messages in /var/mail/peter.
Isn't exim needed to send the port 25 stream into
the spool file?

> As I said, exim is probably overkill.

Messages need to be sent also.  Isn't exim needed
to send messages to P via SMTP?

Thanks again,          ... Peter E.