Re: OT

gcrimp@vcn.bc.ca wrote:
> Though you don't state so explicitly, the underlying assumption in that
> statement is that by being knowledgeable you can do whatever you please on
> the list, and to hell with the rest of us.

    Uh, no.  The quite explicitly stated assertion is that maybe we experts
know something you don't about the list.  And, as equally explicitly stated,
is that the list is about the *users of Debian* and the discussions are not
confined solely to Debian.  So the underlying assumption is that, like any
social group/mailing list you will *ever* encounter it is incumbent on the
newcomers to understand the climate into which they are posting before whining
about it not fitting their needs.  Or, to put it your way, though you didn't
state so explicitly the underlying assumption is that you know what the list
is for and, even if you don't, you know what's best and to hell with the rest
of us.

> Perhaps not.  There is a danger, however, that some of the rest of us
> leave the list.  That could make you an expert without a
> constituency.  And what fun is it being an expert if no one is listening?

    You'll pardon me if I don't pretend that's the first time that has ever
been uttered here and elsewhere.  Furthermore I hope you're not surprised by
my complete lack of concern since none of the previous predictions in the past
*decade* have ever come close to being true.  EVER.  Does this begin to tell
you exactly how wrong you are and maybe, just maybe, you should listen when
those of us who have been around for years longer than you tell you what the
list is for, that this all happens, it all blows over and the list is none the
worse?  Don't worry, if you decide to be pig-headed about it that's ok.  You
won't be the first, and won't be the last.