Re: Please help to make a server accesible from the internet

Hi thanks for replying

My only device is a router. Thomson Speedtouch 530v6. I have not any
other device, nor modem.

I have set the Xubuntu PC to work with static ip using these values:

ip: 192.168.0.129
subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
gateway: 192.168.0.1

then do a ping: ping -c3 www.google.com
and it returns:
---
 PING www.l.google.com (209.85.129.147) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from fk-in-f147.google.com (209.85.129.147): icmp_seq=1
ttl=239 time=74.1 ms
64 bytes from fk-in-f147.google.com (209.85.129.147): icmp_seq=2
ttl=239 time=73.3 ms
64 bytes from fk-in-f147.google.com (209.85.129.147): icmp_seq=3
ttl=239 time=73.0 ms
--- www.l.google.com ping statistics ---
3 packets transmitted, 3 received, 0% packet loss, time 2001ms
----

The other Windows PC remains configured to use DHCP.

Is there something wrong until this step?

-
After this, I forwaded the ports 80 and 443 to the Xubuntu PC.
When I type mi static ip (85.etc I think I better don't type it all
here) in the web browser from the Windows machine, I get the router,
NOT the Xubuntu server page  (Xampp).

I think I can solve if I eliminate some possible issues:

1) How to check if my router can't connect from 2 devices at same
time?
2) How can I verify if my isp is blocking the needed ports? (someone
said me it)
3) Or Maybe the approach is not the right?

Maybe I must start again and use a different approach?
In the router there's an option to assign a public ip to a device.
Inside it says this:
------
Assign the public IP address of a connection to a LAN device

This page allows you to assign the public IP address of your Internet
Connection(s) to a specific device on your local network...

You might want to do this if:

* You encounter issues with some applications through the Network
Address Translation engine of your SpeedTouch.
* This device is running server applications (web server, ...) and you
want it to be accessible from the internet.
* This device has to be considered as the unique entry to your local
network (DMZ).
-----
What is this for?
Maybe I should free the ports again, then use this option, forward the
ports again, and try?
Or what do you think is this for?

Thanks for any info,
and thanks Roberto and Andrew