OT: sponge-burning with solar-powered microwave ovens [was:: A Republican!!!!!! (was Re: OT: sponge burning!)]

Stephen wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 26, 2007 at 10:23:13AM -0600 or thereabouts, Ron Johnson wrote:

>>> Actually most practical people know that this won't ever be the case.
>>>
>> I think that Kent was being sarcastic.
>>

> Really?! Sarcastic about the length of time or that it will become
> practical? I assumed the former.

Actually, I was being sarcastic about trusting press-releases, and by
extension, the time involved for solar to become practical.

As far as solar ever becoming practical, yes, I think it will happen,
some day. The amount of power in solar radiation reaching the surface of
the Earth is way more than adequate for our (current, everyday) power
needs, if we just knew how to harness it. I suspect green plants will
show us the way, just as other designs (yes, I said the "D" word) in
nature have taught us new tricks, but it may be something totally
different, such as solar mirrors or collectors in orbit, etc. I just
don't know if we'll learn how to harness the solar power in three years
or in three-thousand years. I suspect we're closer to the three than the
three-thousand, partially based on those press-releases
(http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2005/01/0114_050114_solarplastic.html,
http://www.technewsworld.com/story/40971.html, etc), which I'm fully
aware should be taken with more than a smidgen of salt.

--
Kent West
Westing Peacefully <http://kentwest.blogspot.com>