Re: REALLY OT: News Flash

On Mon, Feb 26, 2007 at 01:22:27PM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:
> Michael Pobega wrote:

> >> it's GREATLY increasing the noise:signal
> >> ratio for people who don't know about "ignore thread" or other such
> >> things. It doesn't bother me personally (like I said I've found some of
> >> the messages in this thread quite interesting... and if I don't feel like
> >> paying attention I can just hit "delete")
> >>

> > Not to sound stupid, but how does one use this ignore thread feature?
> > I'm pretty new to mailing lists so I'm guessing I respond to the topic
> > and put ignore in the subject header, but I could be wrong and don't
> > want to spam up everyone's inbox.
>
> In mutt, I think the default keybinding is "i".  It varies between MUAs and
> not all MUAs have this feature (though given email and threads have been
> around for how long now, I would general consider such lack of
> functionality as a bug.

I've done some searching on this, and so far as I can tell, there is
no such feature actually built in to Mutt *unless* you are going to
setup message scoring. Then you can set the levels for what scores get
deleted, hidden, etc. All other solutions for what is essentially
filtering mail have to be done outside mutt. There are various
procmail setups out there with killfiles that follow the In-Reply-to
header to keep things threaded properly. And then somehow you can set
up macros in mutt to launch the right script to tag a message into the
killfile so that later messages in that thread get killed properly in
procmail. It looks to be a pita solution, but very unix.