Re: OT: sponge burning!

On Mon, Feb 26, 2007 at 11:18:52AM -0800, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:
<snip>

> Let me start off by saying, apologetically, that I mis-spoke myself. I
> am *not* in favor of the draft as it is commonly understood or was
> used in this country. What I am in favor of is mandatory service. And
> I think there is an important distinction here. The draft makes it
> random (in theory) that one get's thrown in the mud with a
> rifle. Mandatory service takes the randomness out of it. Its not bad
> luck that you're here in the trench, its just your turn. And when
> your turn is up, you will make a measured thoughtful decision whether
> to support a move to war at any particular moment or not.

This makes much more sense to me.  Though I am not in favor mandatory
service, I do know some swedes and turks and they have a good opinion of
it (Sweden and Turkey both have compulsory service, but it is apparently
quite easy to get out of in Turkey).

<massive snippage>

> > Ethnicity
> >
> > - 9 percent of airmen call themselves "Hispanic/Latino"
> > - 87.9 percent "not Hispanic/Latino"
> > - 3.1 percent declined to respond
> >

> I'm not sure how this works. Is the hispanic/latino population
> considered a subset of the white population above? If so, that makes
> sense, if not, there's something funny here.

In 2000, the census made hispanic an ethnic category instead of a race.
That means that someone can know be caucasion (or white, I forget the
term used in the census) or african american *and* either hispanic or
non-hispanic.

<more massive snippage>

On the differences between the Army and Air Force, I chose the Air Force
for a good reason.  I have had friends who have joined all four branches
of the military.  A few things:

- enlisted personnel in the Air Force are much less likely to see direct
  combat than in any other service
- Army, Navy and Marine Recruiters are much more likely to lie or bend
  the truth to recruit someone.  I have had friends who joined all four
  branches and the best I can gather, Army and Marine recruiters
  especially lie.
- The Army has the best college benefit plan, throwing in quite a bit
  more money for someone who goes into a combat specialty than any other
  service does.  So, I am not surprised that there population is much
  less educated, since many join just for the college benefits.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez