Re: driver for graphiccard don't work correctly

Tobias wrote:

> Hello,
>
> i have new hardware in my pc. Therefore exists new problems. The
> graphiccard will not work correctly.
>
> HW:
> CPU:AMD Athlon64 4000+
> Mainboard:Asus A8R-MVP
> HDD: 160GB SATA
> graficcard: Sapphire Radeon X1900GT (ATI) PCIe
>
> OS: Debian/Sarge
> actually using kernel 2.6.18.2-amd64
> want to use kernel 2.6.20
> Xserver: Xfree86-4.3.0
>
> For using this hw with Debian/Sarge, i have to use a Sarge-costum-BootCD,
> which is using the kernel 2.6.18-2-amd64.
> Other Debian/Sarge products wouldn't work with the SATA controller on
> board.
>
> After installing Debian/Sarge with kernel 2.6.18-2 i want to use KDE,
> but the graficcard is unknown for this version.
> Therefore, i want to use the actually ati driver 8.33.6.
> But it is not able to install this driver on this operating system.
> During in the installation, it stopps without any hints.
>
> I think, it could be the wrong kernel, which i am now using.
> Downloading the new kernel from kernel.org, compiling and installing are
> without any errors. Now, if i use this kernel after restart the system
> can't be running. Systemboot stopps on using RAMDISK.
> Change in the /etc/mkinitrd/mkinitrd.conf the MKIMAGE from CRAMFS to
> genromfs. New installing, same error:
> RAMDISK: romfs filesystem found at block 0
> RAMDISK: loading 13428KiB [1 disk] into ram disk... done.
> No filesystem could mount root, tried: cramfs
> kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on
> unknown-block(0,0)
>
> 1. How can i compile and install the new kernel?
> 2. it is possible to use the ati driver for the old kernel and how does it
> fit?
>
> br
> Tobias
Hi Tobias,
You might want to think about installing Etch rather than Sarge or even Sid.
You can find the ATI drivers for the Radeon X1900 series here:
http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/linux64/linux64-radeon.html
This should run with the 2.6.18 kernel.
Cheers,
Jonathan