Re: Debian on ancient machines

On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 13:39:46 -0500
Matthew K Poer <matthewpoer@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2007-02-21 at 13:19 -0500, Michael Pobega wrote:

[snip]

> > My friend has a 128MB RAM/10GB HDD computer that runs fine with Fluxbox, XDM, and his wireless card (NIC).
>
> I have a Thinkpad 600: ~5.5 gig HDD, 196mb RAM, and a P2.
>
> I use Debian Sarge, currently, and Gnome.
>
> KDE and Gnome both run, but a bit slow. If you want more responsiveness,
> try Xfce. Xfce 3.3 (Sarge) was really much faster on these low
> resources, but I use Gnome because it's easier to use, even though it
> takes approx 60 seconds to load after logging in via GDM.

I run a mixture of Etch / Sid on an AMD K6, 192MB RAM, 8GB HDD. Xfce
runs quite well; Iceweasel is sluggish but usable. Sylpheed for email
is quite responsive, Liferea for RSS, Bluefish for coding, and of
course Xfce-Terminal (with about a half dozen tabs generally open).
Those are pretty much all the GUI apps I regularly use, with everything
else done at the cli in the aforementioned tabs :). Startup (system,
not Xfce) is slow, and IW is very sluggish, but on the whole it's quite
usable even in GUI mode. Cli is of course much more responsive.

[snip]

> The biggest problem with this computer is using OpenOffice, which is
> just slow on the resources given. Gnome Office apps open much more
> quickly.

Oh, I also use Abiword, but perhaps I'll have to bite the LaTex
bullet ...
> I love my old computer with Debian, and I wouldn't trade it for a slick
> Dell running XP or Vista any day.

Seconded!

Celajar