Re: Debian on ancient machines

On Wed, 2007-02-21 at 13:19 -0500, Michael Pobega wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Feb 2007 17:46:50 +0100
> Michelle Konzack <linux4michelle@freenet.de> wrote:
>
> > Am 2007-02-16 03:55:36, schrieb pinniped:
> > > Two popular ones I know of are:
> > > DSL  (damn small linux) which can be installed from a CD - in fact the
> > > entire *.iso image is
> >
> > But he can run also <http://www.embedian.org/> to stay with Debian.
> >

> Why would he even need a different distro? Couldn't he just run Debian with XDM and WMaker/Fluxbox?
>
> It would work the same, really. I don't have the original message though so maybe I'm missing the point of the topic,
> but unless he's not stripped for hard drive space he can do what I suggested.
>
> My friend has a 128MB RAM/10GB HDD computer that runs fine with Fluxbox, XDM, and his wireless card (NIC).

I have a Thinkpad 600: ~5.5 gig HDD, 196mb RAM, and a P2.

I use Debian Sarge, currently, and Gnome.

KDE and Gnome both run, but a bit slow. If you want more responsiveness,
try Xfce. Xfce 3.3 (Sarge) was really much faster on these low
resources, but I use Gnome because it's easier to use, even though it
takes approx 60 seconds to load after logging in via GDM.

Also, when I only had 96mb of RAM on this laptop, I used Fluxbox. I
never had a problem browsing the web, email, etc. Fluxbox is pretty
neat, and is what DSL uses.

Now, I dig DSL for what it is: a quick, slick, bootable OS. But I prefer
Debian if I'm installing to my HDD. There are more packages available,
and you already have all of your GNU tools and such.

The biggest problem with this computer is using OpenOffice, which is
just slow on the resources given. Gnome Office apps open much more
quickly.

I love my old computer with Debian, and I wouldn't trade it for a slick
Dell running XP or Vista any day.

--
Matthew K Poer