Re: multicore gizmos

On Wed, Feb 21, 2007 at 04:06:08PM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:
> Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> I've always wondered about the possibilities of setting up more than one
> desktop on a single system.  And by more than one desktop, I mean full KVM,
> audio, and USB (preferably with the ability to tell which desktop is doing
> the plugging).  Ideally, the kind of thing that could host more than one
> gamer.

You mean something like having one central machine that runs all the
software along with, say, 50 or 60 desktops which are exported as remote
X sessions to a bunch of remote graphical terminals?

Been there, done that.  Look up XDMCP.  It's not actually that hard to
do under the X architecture, but it really wows people nonetheless.  Not
quite up to your gaming ideal, though - even if you had a machine with
the horsepower to run 50 copies of $FAVORITE_GAME simultaneously, the
delays introduced by shipping the video over the network would be a
killer.

--
Windows Vista must be the first OS in history to have error codes for things
like "display quality too high"