Re: Internet Dial-up Connection Setting

On Tue, 2007-02-20 at 23:20 -0800, Khurram Pirzada wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I have somewhat different problem. I use Lucent Dual Chipset modem which is on PCI
> slot 1 (under XP) at COM3. Additionally I have Realtek RTL8139 family PCI Fast
> Ethernet at NIC #1 & 2.
>
> Last night I installed Debian and skipped to configure internet setting later. Later
> when I tried, it gave error message
>
> "/etc/resolv.conf is missing. Create with appropriate read and write permission". I
> dont know what this means, as I am new, and what should I do to configure and use
> internet.
>
> I tried
>
> man resolv.conf
>
> and from there I got the impression that either in the proporlly configured systems
> does not need it, or there are certain "human readable" params that might need
> fixing with proper values. I did
>
> vi resolv.conf
>
> and there was nothing - completely empty. Could anyone tell me in little detail what
> exactly I should be doing. Unable to get local expertise ont his matter made me to
> turn to this community.
>
> Thanks for understanding.

> http://mail.yahoo.com

It is to be created in /etc. If you don't have any, create one
in /etc/ppp, and a symlink in /etc pointing to it. Basically it consists
of two lines - the two nameservers you will use and your ISP should have
provided. So it will look like:

nameserver aaa.bbb.ccc.dd1
nameserver aaa.bbb.ccc.dd2

If you don't have these details, check your network connection settings
in XP, and use the nameservers from there.

--
Szia:
                        Nyizsa.

Click to receive help removing your credit card debt
http://tags.bluebottle.com/fc/CAaCMPJkiZqwhcTtiHIKQC7WvRTCQNql/