Re: Debian "Etch" OpenGL libraries

On Tue, Feb 20, 2007 at 06:21:29PM +0300, Srikanth Venigandla wrote:
> Hi,
> I am trying to install a software called Geant4 on my debian "Etch"
> installation of x86_64 architecture (intel EMT64). I figured out that

First, the x86_64 is properly called amd64 (they were the original
creators of it, Intel only made up that em64t nonsense as a marketing
ploy to keep it from looking like they had egg on their face over being
second to market and not as good).

> OpenGL libraries installation is incomplete on my system. I tried
> posting the error message in Geant4 website where I got the suggestion
> to check OpenGL libraries installtion. I have cross checked with other
> installation on RedHat linux and found that several libraries in
> /usr/X11R6/lib directory are missing in my debian installation. These
> libraries as I suppose are related to X windows and OpenGL libraries.

With the X.org transition, /usr/X11R6 essentially went away and
everything moved under /usr as prescribed by the FHS.

> I checked in package manager and serched web and installed all the
> possible software pkgs that are similar to these libraries but I
> couldn't get it work. My installation doesn't open any OpenGL window.
> Could anyone please specify where can I download these drivers and
> which libraries make my installation complete.
> Note: I have installed NVidia drivers on my system. Will there be any conflicts b/w NVidia drivers and OpenGL libraies?
> Thanks
> Srikanth.

Without an *actual* error message, it really tough to tell what exactly
is missing or going wrong.

Regards,

-Roberto
--