X.org: manual fonts installation

Hello everybody,

I have to install some commercial fonts in current sid/i386 to make them
available to GTK applications (flashplayer in particular). I know, that's
not free software nor free fonts, but that's what will eventually buy me
the food for a few days...

Three questions:
1. I have to advice the customer about what kind of fonts will work with
X.org+defoma+whatever (e.g. Truetype? Type1? others?)
2. then I'll have to install such fonts. Is it enough to copy the files
into /usr/share/fonts/? Or should I take care of other things?
3. How do I alias a font name?

Thanks in advance,
Lucio.