Re: MP3 Support

On Mon, 19 Feb 2007 12:30:52 -0500, Carl wrote in message
<[🔎] 20070219173052.GA14698@nitpicking.com>:

> On Mon, Feb 19, 2007 at 07:12:53AM -0800, Alan Ianson wrote:
> > On Mon February 19 2007 01:51, Joe Hart wrote:
> >
> > > I'll still be putting the Christian's repo in my sources list, but
> > > I thought that MP3 was one of the "questionable" formats that goes
> > > against the DFSG.  Perhaps I am wrong.
> > >
> > > In any event, I was pleasantly surprised.
> >
> > I find that mp3 and ogg are supported by almost any media player,
> > even  mp3blaster on the console. Lame isn't in debian though (the
> > mp3 encoder). Even wma is supported by xine now and I'm sure others
> > too.
>
> True but doesn't answer Joe's question.
>
> MP3 is a patent-encumbered technology for compression only.

..last time I read about this, the Fraunhofer Institute went after those
who streamed mp3's out on the net without paying the mp3 patent license.
http://www.google.com/search?num=100&&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=mp3+license+site:groklaw.net
http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=mp3+"Fraunhofer%20Institut"+license

> Players (IIRC) don't require a licence.  Whether that's
> DFSG-acceptable I couldn't say.

..3 mp3 license policy pointers:
http://www.google.com/search?num=100&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=%22mp3+patent%22+%22Fraunhofer+Institut%22+license+policy

  Scenarios always come in sets of three: