Re: any recomendedations of documentation for half a dozen services.

On Mon, Feb 19, 2007 at 03:42:31PM +0000, Clive Menzies wrote:

> I've always used exim since using debian, primarily because it is the
> default.  Why would you recommend postfix?  I've looked at it
> occasionally and I've done a few Ubuntu installs including on my
> workstation.  However, I've felt reluctant to use it on servers on the
> basis of 'the devil you know'.

I guess I would recommend Postfix because it is what I know :-)

I have found that for some of the things I wanted to do, the
documentation for Postfix was better.

> When I first started using exim it was pretty bewildering and I bought
> the book in the belief that it is useful to know the default Debian MTA.
> Is there any likelihood that Postfix becomes the default?

I don't think that it will change.  Like many other things, the default
MTA is a matter of opinion and lots of people like Exim.  Personally,
I'd like to see the default change, but I don't think it makes that much
of a difference in the long run as you can always change it.

Regards,

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez