Re: executing ntpdate on boot - seems it doesn't work

Thanks to you all for replying.

Firstly I have to admit that this particular system is actually not a real Debian system but Ubuntu. I wrote here because I wrongly assumed both distributions are more similar then they are. And because Debian users knowledge about the system is better than Ubuntu users'.
I'm sorry for this abuse.

If it manually works, maybe you can add more lines to your
/etc/network/if-up/ntpdate file in order to track down where the
probleme comes from.

Inserting echos and log_daemon_msg into the ntpdate script wasn't that useful and the results confusing. But I was at least successfull in finding out that ntpdate-debian is indeed called and also contacts the servers: on the workstation I configured my server as ntp host and ran tcpdump there.
I didn't think of checking my server (running Debian Etch) before - my fault. The bootup script works there and ntpdate also shows up in the syslog. So the difference in Ubuntu must lay in upstart or so.

It would be odd to do it in a different way. I have checked my rcS.d directory,
and I have : S11hwclock and S40networking.

True, that's what my Etch server looks like too.
While I also don't get what that S18hwclockfirst.sh and S50hwclock of Sarge are about.

Greets,
Rolf