looking for fix to AMD64 python dl problem....

Dear Debianists,

I have been trying to compile a progam called ASCEND IV from sourceforge.net using scons that usually runs on an i386 on my AMD64 Sempron 3200 box. I am running Debian Etch RC1 AMD64.

One of the developers has been helping me. We have managed to compile it but have found that the dl function in python doesn't work in AMD64. It is an essential feature for ASCEND. Ultimately I would make a deb package for this program for general release. Suggestions on a dl fix welcome. Am using python2.4

mikef@localhost:~/ascend$ ./test.py
Traceback (most recent call last):
 File "./test.py", line 31, in ?
   import dl
ImportError: No module named dl
mikef@localhost:~/ascend$ pygtk/ascdev models/johnpye/testlog10.a4c

Restarting with...
  export ASCENDLIBRARY=/home/mikef/ascend/models
  export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/mikef/ascend:/home/mikef/ascend/pygtk
  export PYTHONPATH=/home/mikef/ascend/pygtk
PYTHON...  pygtk/ascdev

Running with...
  LD_LIBRARY_PATH = /home/mikef/ascend:/home/mikef/ascend/pygtk
  ASCENDLIBRARY = /home/mikef/ascend/models
  PYTHONPATH = /home/mikef/ascend/pygtk

ASCEND had problems importing required models.

Please ensure you have all the runtime prerequisites installed.
Please then report a bug if you continue to have problems.

Full error message: No module named dl

Press ENTER to close this window.

mikef@localhost:~/ascend$

Comments appreciated,