Re: Woody on 486 problem

On Sat, 2007-02-17 at 21:36 +0100, Mirko Scurk wrote:

> It's shame that there is not a "normal" (non e-bay) supply channel for
> parts for some old architectures. Every other equipment manufacturers have
> obligations to continue to produce spare parts for years after some
> product have ended. Yesterday, brother in law called me and cried because
> his athlon xp socket A board died.

Here in Portland (OR, USA), there's a non-profit organization called [1]
Free Geek that recycles old computers.  Recycling, in this case,
involves rebuilding machines that are still usable and properly
disposing of equipment that is not ("properly," as in stripping out the
components that are harmful to the environment so they don't end up in
landfills).  They install Debian or Ubuntu on the rebuilt machines and
give them away to other non-profits and to volunteers.  They also have a
store where they sell spare parts (and some completely rebuilt
machines); it's a good local source to scour for older components, and
typically much less expensive than e-Bay or similar sources.  Many local
companies donate their old machines to Free Geek when they upgrade their
equipment, and individuals do as well.  Free Geek also does other
Linux-promoting stuff like offering cert courses, and it hosts our [2]
local user group's monthly Linux clinic.

IMO, it's a shame there aren't more organizations like Free Geek around.

[1] http://freegeek.org/
[2] http://www.pdxlinux.org/

--
Michael M. ++ Portland, OR ++ USA
"No live organism can continue for long to exist sanely under conditions