Re: No network after Kernel upgrade

On Sun, Feb 18, 2007 at 02:12:47PM -0500, Frank McCormick wrote:

>    Running Debian Etch - yesterday I aptitude'd the newest kernel
> 2.6.18 -3-686 which after adding Udev seems to be running fine. The
> problem is the old kernel 2.6.8 doesn't (can't) setup the network
> because hotplug is now gone.
>    Two questions : can hotplug and udev co-exist ? and 2) is kernel
> 2.6.8 now deprecated ? Not a serious situation because 2.6.18 is fine
> as far as I can see.
With the upgrade to 2.6.18, udev is now standard. Udev incorporates the
functionality of hotplug and thus is no longer a seperate package. You
now can investiage writing udev rules. See the udev documentaion for
more info. And the upgrade to 2.6.18 is one-way, so the old kernel will
not work correctly. Well I'm someone could create a custom kernel and
hack a solution but that would not be a useful endever as long as you
plan to stick with the current Debian kernel. Anyway, onward and
upward...
|   my keysever: subkeys.pgp.net |     my NPO: cfsg.org         |