Configure error: C compiler cannot create executables

For over a year, following the instructions of J. Stumpel in his very
useful "Dosemu for Dummies", I have been using dosemu in Debian Sarge,
which I installed from source.

Now that I am using Debian Etch, I want to install the latest dosemu
version.  After downloading the tarball and unpacking it, I ran
"./configure".  The result was the error message quoted in the subject
line above.  (I have several versions of the gcc compiler installed from
Debian Etch.)

I would appreciate advice on what I need to do to get "./configure" to
run successfully.

				Regards,

				Ken Heard
				Toronto, Canada